PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thirty Years

Thirty years is not really all that great a period of time in the grand scheme of things. Oh, it is half my life and I know I will be lucky to see another 30 years on this earth, but in the history of the world it is the snap of a finger.

Aside from 2008 being the 30th anniversary of the Jonestown Massacre, it also marks a never before reached milestone in the 232 year life of our young republic. The United States of America has elected a non-white president for the very first time. Listening to the election night coverage on NPR and hearing Obama declared president-elect, I was overwhelmed with pride in my country. I never thought this day would occur in my lifetime.

Then I wondered what Rev. Jim Jones would have said. I wondered what his reaction would have been. Would he be amazed that just half a century after Rosa Parks refused to take a seat in the back of the bus our country would elect a black man as its leader?

What happened in Jonestown 30 years ago is a horror we shall never forget. What happened in the USA last Tuesday night was a monumental event we shall always remember.

No comments: